A promotional budget, advertising strategies, and professional photography weight when doing a business with the help of the SMM tools. However, nothing else matters if the content on a website or blog is boring. Customers will come to the page, but they won’t stay for long on it.
So, check out how to create engaging content for the audience and solve the social media platform tasks:
What is engaging content?
High-quality content is well-structured, useful, and amusing material for the user. It can be text, video, pictures, infographics, animation, etc. The main characteristics of engaging content are:
- Purpose — the content can be entertaining, educational, selling, etc.;
- A simple presentation – even a kid can understand the essence of high-quality content and understand its meaning at least in general terms;
- Relevance – talk about what excites your customers or what can help them in life;
- Uniqueness – create high-quality material yourself, but don’t copy text or image;
- Informativity – you should always understand what your content gives users, whether it contains helpful information;
- Reliability – rely on reliable information sources to create high-quality material.
Now, look at the guidelines to figure out how to create engaging content.
- Define the target audience
The Target Audience (TA) is the people who are interested in your publications. Here’s how you can identify your target audience:
- Study the competitors. Look for websites and social media accounts that are similar to yours. They have about the same number of subscribers and work in the same direction as you. Then, look at what people write under the posts, and what images and photos they like the most.
- Analyze active users on competitor pages. Study existing buyers. Try to remember what wishes your customers express, what they like and what they don’t. Also, check which age group buys from you more often, where these people live, and what they are interested in when asking about a product.
- Explore forums and groups on social networks. See what topics get the most comments, what people tell in their posts, and what questions they ask.
After collecting the data, divide people into separate groups based on age, gender, geographic location, education, behavioral characteristics, personal qualities, and interests. This will help you to post content for different categories of your target audience more purposefully.
- Come up with a unique theme
A unique topic is a topic that no one has posted about before you. Think there are no unique topics left on the Internet? No worries! We offer some ways to come up with unique themes:
- Take a look at what’s already on the web. Pay particular attention to current ideas in your field.
- Look for infomercials. Search for news that you can cover from your point of view.
- Move away from the problem. Talk about how you see the problem and its solution.
- Rely on popular search terms. See what people are looking for in your industry and create content based on that. You can use any convenient keyword research tool for this.
- Solve the reader’s problem
Study the needs of your audience, look for problems, and offer solutions. What do we mean? For example, you are the founder of a car rental company. Young travelers who book rental cars through your website want to save money and therefore are looking for ways to find car rental under 25 no fee.
So, you can create an appropriate topic in your blog, thereby solving the problem of young drivers who often rent cars. Consider several ways for this:
- Create a simple step-by-step guide.
- Refer to expert opinions.
- Use practical and life examples.
- Think of an engaging headline
A clickable headline grabs attention and drives traffic. It helps the reader quickly determine if he needs text, why he should spend time on it, and what value your content will provide. There are five characteristics of an engaging headline:
- The title is short and clear.
- It promises the reader a benefit.
- The headline emphasizes relevance and value.
- It keeps the target audience in mind.
- It matches what you’re talking about next.
- Consider emotional engagement for the reader
Emotional engagement is the creation of interest, an atmosphere of community, or involvement in something meaningful. The most important thing is understanding the target audience. For example, students like to watch memes, while people with an active lifestyle – read materials on sensitive topics. At the same time, older women are more likely to prefer heartbreaking stories. There are several techniques to create emotional engagement:
- Write as if you are talking to the reader – avoid phrases that you don’t use in everyday life, adjust to the reader’s interests, and ask him questions at the end of the article.
- Don’t write in the first person – use ‘You’ instead of ‘I’ or ‘We’.
- Use more verbs – this way you will make the material dynamic.
- Tell real-life stories – situations similar to those faced by the reader evoke a response.
- Show your own emotions – feel free to laugh or get angry in the video, show raw photos from everyday life.
- Follow a consistent style
Companies or media personalities often have their own style. Someone communicates with readers in a friendly manner, while someone builds a more formal dialogue. Thus, you better adhere to a single style in all published content: on the website, social networks, and instant messengers. Otherwise, readers will get confused and their engagement will decrease.
Also, you must follow the same presentation style in each material. Don’t forget about subheadings and lists, and try to make one paragraph flow smoothly into the next one.
- Don’t forget about visual design
Visual design is all the visual information that accompanies the text. It includes videos, photographs, illustrations, diagrams, graphs, and gif animation.
- If you write articles, use subheadings, lists, and tables. Reinforce text comprehension with pictures, photographs, or tables.
- If you shoot stories, alternate between videos and photos. Add polls, quizzes, and music to bring content to life.
- If you record a video, don’t forget about the preview. Also, use different video formats.
- When posting photos, consider their style. Stick to roughly the same design for all the photos in the post. This applies to both fonts and color palettes.
So, we have outlined the most important requirements for creating high-quality content. If you pay attention to each of these points, then you will succeed in promoting your blog, website, or social media account!