Plex is like a gift from God for people who have a really hard time managing their media storage and want to access it from different devices. In this era, everyone has their choices of movies, TV shows, and other forms of entertainment, with the amazingly wide options in our hands, it seldom gets too complicated to manage these files. Plex offers an effective solution to this problem, it provides options to you so that you can access your media files from any compatible device without the need of transferring these files every time you want to use them.
To access all these data you need to set up a Plex server and then use Plex client on your TV, Smartphone devices. This article is about how to connect your Plex client to your plex account. On smartphones, it is easy to connect but for a TV you need to complete extra steps. This article will guide you to connect plex to your TV using plex.tv/link.
According to Plex’s official website, it is like a portal where Plex enables you to find and access all your media, this may include anything from your personal files, podcasts, web shows, and news, to streaming music all in a single place, which could be browsed and accessed from any device with valid entry to your Plex TV server.
This service not only lets you watch your stuff, but has tons of other features in its trunk. From tracking your content, remotely organizing, optimizing media for devices or bandwidth, and protecting your privacy, it does all that you can expect. There are several other perks of using Plex over other services-
- You can share your content without any geographical limitations. No physical boundaries can stop you from accessing your desirable content.
- Stream music. You are not just bound by video content, but music has the same aids in the Plex System.
- Set up your DVR and record your shows from over the air and watch it anywhere. WOAH!! (Premium Membership Feature)
- You can simply link your TIDAL account and have access to over 60 million songs.
- 1 How to Activate plex.tv/link on Your Smart TV.
- 2 How to Set up Plex Media Server on Your Computer.
- 3 How to Set up Plex Application on other devices.
- 4 Why is it important to sign in to your Plex Account?
- 5 How to install Plex TV on an Android TV
- 6 How to use Plex TV on unsupported Smart TVs
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions about Plex TV Link Sign In
Before proceeding with this Just make sure your Plex server is up and running and you have created an account on Plex.tv.
Steps to Activate Plex.
These steps are used to link your Big screen devices like Android TV, Smart TV, and Apple TV, etc. As you know typing your password on such devices can a bit tricky. To save you from the hassle of typing your Password on such devices Plex and other services like YouTube use this 4-character login code method to connect your account.
- On your TV choose the Sign In Option on screen.
- Now, You will be able to see a 4-character code on your TV screen. This is the code which we will use for sign-in.
- Go to https://plex.tv/link on a computer or Smartphone. Put your Plex account details on this page and Login into it.
- Once you are logged in it will ask you the 4-character code. You can see this on your TV Screen. Enter the code and click the submit button.
- Once you are done with all 4 steps. Your Plex app on TV should refresh itself and will be linked to your account. This can take a few seconds.
How to activate Plex on Roku
The following are the steps for activating Plex on your Roku:
- Go to the Home Screen of Roku by pressing the Home button
- Launch the Plex.
- You will get an activation code on the screen
- Use your smartphone or PC to visit the link displayed on the screen
- After opening the link, enter the activation code
Your Plex and Roku are linked now!
How to activate Plex on Fire TV Stick
The following are the steps for activating Plex on your Fire TV Stick:
- Switch on the TV with your Fire TV Stick
- On Fire TV, select the ‘Search’ option which is present above the ‘Home’ menu. Type ‘Plex’ here and select the result. Download the same
- After installation, accept the ‘screen adjustments’
- After signing in successfully, a PIN code will appear along with a website link on the screen. Note down this PIN.
- Go to plex.tv/link and enter the code noted above.
You can now enjoy your favorite movies and TV series of Plex on your Fire TV stick!
How to activate Plex on Apple TV
The following are the steps for activating Plex on your Apple TV:
- Go to the Apple App Store on your Apple TV and navigate to the Channel Store
- Type ‘Plex’ in the search bar and select the result. Choose ‘Add Channel’ to install it
- After installation, you will receive an activation code on the screen. Visit plex.tv/link in the browser of your smartphone or PC
- Enter the activation code after opening the link and click on the ‘Submit’ button
You can now enjoy Plex on your Apple TV!
How to activate Plex on Xbox One
The following are the steps for activating Plex on your Xbox One:
- Open Plex on your Xbox One. Noted down the activation code appearing on the screen
- Visit plex.tv/link in your smartphone/PC browser and enter the activation code
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button
You are now ready to watch your favorite content on Plex through your Xbox One!
How to Set up Plex Media Server on Your Computer.
To access your media files saved on your computer device, you obviously first need to set up the Plex Media Server for the app to read and access your files on other devices. You need not worry, it is no rocket science and don’t let these words in believing you that it is going to be a tough job.
We have also written a guide on Openload Pair and how to sync it.
- First things first, you need to head on to Plex.tv and proceed to the Sign-up page (No Credit Cards required- WOOHOO), where you need to complete the required steps. Now you are ready to download the Plex Media Server Software.
- Navigate to plex.tv/media-server-downloads. Select the operating system based on what your system is based on. You need to install the Plex Media Server on the computer or any network-attached server (NAS) device where you are going to store your movies, shows images, music, videos, and other media files.
How to Set up Plex Application on other devices.
- You can download the mobile application from the Google Play Store or Amazon App Store or Apple App Store.
- The most important thing for you to do is to connect your Plex App to the relevant Plex account (The same account used in the Server).
If you are using devices that have the option of a typing interface, Plex provides you multiple options for signing in Google, Facebook, Apple, or the OG Email ID and password system.
But, if you have to log in to devices like a smart TV, you get the option to sign in using a 4-digit code, hence relieving you from typing long IDs and passwords all the time. As soon as you enter the code on your TV, the player would refresh itself, showing you the options available.
Why is it important to sign in to your Plex Account?
It is quite essential for any user to sign in to the Plex TV Link in order to enjoy the benefits. Without which you will be missing the following features-
- Plex App on devices such as Sony PlayStation, Xbox, SmartTVs will not work at all without a sign-in.
- Remote access to your home server is only possible when you are logged in.
- You can even enjoy the content that is shared by your friends and family from around the globe.
- If you have a Plex Pass Subscription, it is mandatory for you to log in to have the features.
How to install Plex TV on an Android TV
If you are already a fan of this wonderful service that is Plex TV Link, then you are up for another shockwave. As we know that it works on almost all available platforms, Plex works like a charm if you have a Smart TV that runs the Android system. The newer Android Smart TVs have native support for Plex but not all older versions provide support. You simply need to follow the steps given below and voila, you can now access all your media from the comfort of your couch at any time of the day.
- Open your Android TV menu and open the Google Play Store on it.
- Search for “Plex” in the search box, and install it on your Android TV.
- Open the Plex App, you would require to sign in using the methods discussed in the previous section.
Once you are done with the above steps on your Android TV, you should now have the access to all your desired files that are stored on your server-side.
Even if you do not own a TV that has Android running on it, most Smart TVs provide support to the Plex Application and you can download and run the app with a similar process as mentioned above. The main reason behind the success of Plex is its wide availability over multiple platforms and the ease of use over these platforms.
How to use Plex TV on unsupported Smart TVs
For those whose TV does not provide support in the above ways, you guys do not have to worry at all. Once a wise man said, where there is a will there’s always a way. So here is your way to savor the Plex TV Link at any time you want with your friends and family.
Streaming Sticks or Dongles will help you watch your favorite Romantic Flick with your partner or an Action Thriller with your gang. These devices have already begun to become a part of daily life for those people who do not have TV sets that have inbuilt casting capabilities. There are literally n-number of options in the market, but only a few rules the market, these include the likes of Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, and Roku Stick.
Set-Top Boxes can be another option for you that will allow you to connect to the Plex TV Link. Though Set-Top boxes are going to cost you a lot more than any of the above options, if you are looking to expand your media capabilities on your TV it won’t be a bad decision. Boxes like Apple TV and Roku both provide full functionality to the Plex application.
Frequently Asked Questions about Plex TV Link Sign In
Is Plex Legal?
Yes, it sure is. But as mentioned earlier in the article, Where there is a will, there’s away. There are always ways to turn something legal in to illegal. While the entire system is made to stream your stored media from the server, what are those media files that are absolutely out of the hands of the Plex System. People often use this system to store and stream Pirated copies of movies, shows, and music, which is definitely an illegal use.
What Media formats does Plex support?
Movies, TV Shows, and Home Video: MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, DIVX, and more
Music: MP3, M4A, FLAC, WMA, and more
Photos: JPG, PNG, RAW, TBN, and more
What devices does Plex Support?
Plex Media Server–
Windows, OS X, Linux, NVIDIA SHIELD, Netgear Nighthawk X10 router and NAS devices such as QNAP, Synology, Netgear, Drobo.
Plex Client App-
Browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari
Mobile Apps: Android, iOS
Tablets: Android and iOS
Gaming Consoles: PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
Streaming Devices: Amazon Alexa, Amazon FireStick, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku