There are different certificates based on domains and subdomains that help the user secure their website legally. If you are the website owner and your website domain and subdomain need security but you want to do this with a single certificate, then one of the best options is to have a wildcard SSL certificate. However, if you want any certification, you can’t buy it simply.
Firstly, generate the CSR, which stands for certificate signing request for installation. The authority issues the certificate to the domain owner only when he submits CSP to the certificate authority. Keep in mind that the CSR must be authentic to get a certificate. If you have a single domain or any single subdomain, you have to create CSR for that. But as we said, wildcard SSL certificates are authorized for both domain and subdomain, so we need CSR for both. This blog will teach you the method of CSR generation for wildcard SSL certificates for Linux.
You can use this certificate for a domain and an unlimited number of subdomains. It removes the tag of not secure warning from all subdomains. It is more beneficial than a single SSL certificate that only secures a single domain. CSR is an encoded file that contains all the personal data and information about the user’s public key and website, and it is essential for issuing a secure certificate. Before moving towards the generation of CSR, keep in mind that your wildcard certificate must be from a reliable company that offers an affordable price.
Generation of CSR for Wildcard Certificate in Linux:
You can create the CSR for wildcard certificate easily, but you will be asked for the following information before that.
● Common and complete name of your domain
● The legal name of your organization
● Name of specific organization unit that belongs to you
● Country and provision of origin of your company
● Email address and SHA-2 signature. You will need to add the asterisk ahead of your domain; if you want to secure the domain website.com, your will need to write the name *website.com, and after that, you can add a subdomain. You can also add multiple sub-domains in the same way.
Now follow the following steps of CSR generation for your wildcard certificate.
● Open the terminal client in the webserver.
● Write down the code in the following way; openssl req _new _newkey rsa:2048 –nodes –keyout server.key –out server.csr
● Now enter the domain name according to the above-given pattern
● Write down the organization’s detail
● After entering the data, you have created the CSR for the wildcard
● Now keep the private key there as the generated CSR
To keep your website protected, SSL certificates are necessary, and these certificates are perfect for securing both domain and subdomains at a low price. For a wildcard certificate, it is necessary to have CSR for all subdomains; after that, the authority will issue you a certificate.
Leave a Reply