With the rise of online content creation, many people are leaning towards streaming various activities online – eating food, fixing stuff, sports betting crypto, vlogging holidays, or streaming games. And the gaming community took advantage of this opportunity to create a culture where they can play games for fun and also get to make money out of it.
Therefore, if you are planning to start your own game streaming channel on YouTube, Twitch, or any other similar platform, there are a number of basic gadgets that you will need aside from your PC or console. Here are 5 important accessories that will enhance your game streaming experience.
If you ask professional streamers what the single most important gadget for game streaming is, they will recommend a better microphone without a blink. Smooth and crispy audio can hold the attention of the viewers longer. There are 3 different types of microphones in the market based on the quality of sound and the type of connection.
- The built-in microphones that have the lowest audio quality.
- The USB microphones that can provide better sound quality at a cheaper price.
- The XLR microphones that come with audio mixers and provide the highest quality of sound, though at an expensive price.
USB microphones are the most common type of microphone among gamers and professional streamers. It is easy to use with a plug-and-play USB feature and provides better sound quality at a lower price than the built-in ones.
The XLR microphones are, however, the best option if you have the bank for them. They come with separate audio mixers and dedicated software where you can balance between different layers of audio – be it your voice, the gaming sound, or the donation BGM.
HyperX QuadCast, PreSonus Revelator, and Shure MV7 are some of the most popular ones that are available now in the market.
The first thing that viewers notice is the quality of your stream, which is highly dependent on the competency of your video recording device. There are 4 different video recording options for you to choose from when setting up your streaming station.
- Webcams: They are the most affordable and compact gadgets for an amateur streamer. Most of the modern webcams come with 720p captures, so you don’t have to worry about the resolution. They also have a built-in microphone and can easily be connected to a PC without requiring any additional software. Logitech C922 Pro and Razer Kiyo are the trendy ones in the market right now.
- DSLR Cameras: If you are ready to pay some extra more, mirrorless DSLRs are the next ones in line. They provide ultra-high-resolution and seamless video quality that can pop up your ordinary video into a bright one. You need to buy a separate video encoder in order to transmit your videos live to different streaming platforms.
- Camcorders: If you end up being a professional streamer or are willing to spend a good amount on upgrading your video recording set, then camcorders are your go-to if you want that 4K resolution and crystal clear video output.
- Action Cameras: For live streaming, action cameras are becoming popular in the market for their compact size and better quality. If you want to stream action-packed scenes, you know which one to pick for your shoot.
3. Stream Deck
A switching deck is another important gadget that you will need if you are new to game streaming. It becomes a hassle for gamers to remember all the keyboard shortcuts for individual functions like playing the intro, opening the comment box, pausing the stream, popping up music, saving different gaming profiles, etc. Therefore, a stream deck is an easy solution that provides a matrix of 15 to 16 buttons that you can customize at your own will.
Gone are the days when you would not be distracted from gaming while enabling or disabling particular streaming controls. Products like Elgato Stream Deck allow you to modify all 15 LCD keys to perform various shortcut commands while you are in the middle of game streaming. It has a nice drag and drop feature where you can customize the icons of the buttons and save the profile for later use.
There are a plethora of actions that you can perform with a quick tap of your fingertip. Be it switching scenes, launching media, playing BGMs for donations, adjusting the volume, opening the comment box, or pausing your streaming; you can perform all of those actions without ever looking away from your screen with this stream deck at your fingertips.
If you are starting a streaming channel on Mixer, Twitch, or Youtube, one thing that you have to make sure of is that your gaming sound is not leaking to the streaming viewers through your microphone. Though this problem is often overlooked, it reduces the quality of your content, and the final audio outputs overlap to create noises. Some of the other factors that you have to keep in mind while choosing a good headgear are:
- The quality of sound: The essence of a good headset relies on the quality of sound it delivers. The immersive sound from well-built headphones will let you notice even the tiniest footsteps of your enemies and will give you that wholesome gaming ambiance. Closed-back headphones are better at blocking external noises and isolating your gaming audio from streaming one.
- The comfortability: Since it is common for streamers to sit before the screens for hours and days, a comfortable headset with an adjustable headband and flexible earpad is a must. Otherwise, long hours of gaming might leave bad rashes on your ears. Also, the weight of the headphone has to be light. You will feel pressure on your head and neck if the gear is too big of a mount.
- The Compatibility: The most overlooked factor in purchasing a headgear is its compatibility with other platforms. Yes, the headphone might work with all platforms, but it might not deliver its maximum quality due to compatibility issues with some platforms. Therefore, before buying one, you should make sure it is well compatible with your motherboard, Xbox, Playstation, or Switch. Razer Kraken and Logitech G433 are some of the popular ones trending on the market now.
5. Additional Accessories
Aside from the microphone, webcam, headset, and stream deck, there are a few other essential gadgets that will enhance your streaming experience, such as:
- Lightings: What is the point of streaming yourself playing a game if viewers cannot see your reactions? That is where the good lighting setup comes from. There are many industrial-grade LED setups that will not make you sweat even after long exposure to your face. Elgato Key Light Air is a popular one that provides a diffused beam with the same intensity for hours.
- Tripod and Mounting Gears: You need to have a good and sturdy tripod that can take the full weight of your video recording setup. When purchasing one, you need to make sure the fluid head allows you to tilt and pan the camera so that you can adjust without jerking the capture. The rubber pad at the bottom for indoor shooting is also an important factor to consider while looking for good mounting gears for your streaming setup.
- Green Screen: Many streamers keep a green screen in the background so that the viewers do not have to look at their empty walls. It is easier to change the green screen background to something flashy rather than changing your actual background from day-to-day streaming. So, a pop-up or drop-down screen with a remote click can add that extra aesthetic that was missing from your list as a streamer.
With the advent of the fast internet and the influence of social media, game streaming is becoming more and more popular, as evident by the number of daily viewers on YouTube and Twitch. Therefore, if you want to join that bandwagon and plan on starting a career in the streaming industry, you must need to have the right setup for it. Because the competition is very high when you see the flashy and popping gadgets that streamers use nowadays.
Start with a good PC or console, then add audio and video setups along with headphones, gears, stream deck, and strip lights. If you feel a bit more fancy, then go for green screens, RGB keyboards, DSLRs, multi-monitor setups, and so on. So, game on and stream that experience with the world so that we all can enjoy it with you.