Did you ever experience the ‘blue screen of death’ in your PC (Windows OS)? About 97% of the readers will agree that they have suffered from this error earlier. The remaining 3% might not have experienced the problem because unlike before, it is not so common these days. The blue screen problem is not necessarily a serious one. It can be usually fixed by simply rebooting the PC. However, sometimes, you might come across an error which keeps on repeating again and again. One such nightmare is the kmode exception not handled error.
Solutions for Kmode Exception Not Handled error
Solution 1: Disabling Fast Startup
The Fast Startup feature of Windows 10 can be the reason behind the kmode exception not handled error. This feature actually facilitates fast recovery for shutdown and hibernation. However, it can also load back in the driver problem that existed. When you disable the Fast Startup feature, the system fixes the issue entirely. The following are the steps which should be taken for disabling Fast Startup:
- Go to the Windows search bar and search for ‘Control Panel’. Click on the corresponding result.
- Click on ‘System and Security’. Further, click on ‘Power Options’.
- Click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’ present on the left-hand menu.
- Click on the blue link at the top of the page, which says ‘Change settings that are currently available’.
- You will find a box under ‘Shutdown Settings, which says ‘Turn on Fast Startup’. Untick this box.
- Click on ‘Save Changes’.
After executing the above solution, if you still face the knife exception not handled the error, you should try tackling it at its source by following the other solutions mentioned in this article.
Also, read our guide on Skse64 not working error.
Solution 2: Updating the problematic driver
The most common cause behind the kmode exception not handled error is a faulty driver. You can fix this problem by updating the driver. However, you are required to know the specific driver that is causing the error. The Windows OS is capable of providing you with a good indication of the faulty driver. When the blue screen appears on your monitor, you will see ‘Error: Kmode_Exception_Not_Handled’. This line is further followed by the name of a driver in brackets. In this way, the system informs you about the driver that has caused the error. In order to fix this error, you need to update the driver. You need to also find what hardware the mentioned driver is related to.
For updating the problematic driver follow the steps given below:
- Got the Windows search bar. Type ‘Device Manager’ and click on the corresponding entry.
- Now, find the hardware associated with the driver error and click on it with the right mouse button. A drop-down menu will appear. Select ‘Update driver’ from this menu.
- After you get the options, choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. Wait till the process completes.
If this solution doesn’t work, go to the official website of the motherboard’s manufacturer. Check if any new driver has been released there. If the driver belongs to some other hardware such as the add-in card, search for the hardware. If there’s an update released, download it. Further, update the driver by choosing ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ during the 3rd step mentioned above. This process will take a bit more time to complete. After the process completes, your system will be free of the Kmode Exception (blue screen) error.
Solution 3: Checking if the RAM is at fault
You might get stuck with the kmode exception not handled error even after executing the above solutions. If the above solutions fail for your PC, there’s a good possibility that your driver has been corrupted due to the RAM. To check if your RAM is causing the error, you should use the memory diagnostics tool of Windows. Go to the Windows search bar. Type ‘Memory Diagnostic’ in it. Select the corresponding result. Now, go for the ‘Restart now and check for problems’ option. If you want to save your existing work on the PC, select the ‘Check for problems the next time I start my computer’ option. The PC will go under a scan during the reboot. If the system shows any error during this scan, it is safe to assume that your RAM is the reason behind the kmode exception not handled error. To check if there wasn’t any loose connection, remove and reseat the RAM. If this fails, you need to either buy a new kit or replace the problematic stick.
About Kmode Exception
The Kmode Exception error rises when the applications of the system are indulged in overwriting each other’s memory. This leads to the crashing of software or even a full system crash (represented by a blue screen). In this case, the error handler of Windows isn’t sure what’s going wrong. It doesn’t have any idea about which specific software has been corrupted. It only knows that some software has caused a system failure.