Discord is one of the best chat applications for the gaming community. Even though it is quite a popular application, you probably might have not heard about it if you ain’t a hardcore gamer. But don’t think that Discord is just another usual chat platform like Microsoft Skype or Facebook Messenger. The optimization of Discord has been done by keeping the gamers in mind. You will find a lot of features in Discord which will ensure that your gaming experience takes off to a whole new level. Before emerging as a chat application for gamers, Discord was actually an online multiplayer game that was designed for iOS. With Discord, you will be able to enjoy text and voice chats with other players while simultaneously playing a multiplayer game. If you want to delete your Discord account, you can refer to this article to follow the steps to delete Discord account.
Just like most of the chat applications, one can start using Discord easily. You just have to log in, add your peers, become a member of a chat server, and begin the conversations with your Discord friends. You can also invite more friends by using the invitation code.
There are plenty of apps available on the internet, which you can use for texting your friends for formal or informal use. But if you want to use an app that is specifically meant for texting during gaming sessions, Discord will be the best option for you. Like most of the chat apps, the Discord application won’t run in the background during your gaming sessions. It will allow your smartphone or PC to focus its capabilities on your gameplay. The interface of Discord also allows you to share files, images, videos, and links from your smartphone or PC. You won’t find any ads on this application.
If you wish to delete Discord account for some reason, you will be glad to know that you even have the option to temporarily disable your discord account. The ‘disable’ feature of Discord will prove to be beneficial for you if you wish to login in back to your Discord account someday without creating a new one. This article will let you know about how your Discord account can be disabled as well as how it can be deleted.
How to disable Discord Account
You can disable your Discord account through both Desktop and smartphone. You can choose any of these mediums to disable your Discord app. But remember, it is easier to disable or delete Discord account on a desktop than doing it on an iPhone or Android smartphone. So you should disable or delete it through your smartphone only if you don’t have a personal desktop.
Disabling your Discord account through Desktop
The following are the steps required to disable your Discord account through Desktop:
- Open the Discord app and login into your account.
- After logging in, go to your User Settings which appears in the form of a Cog icon. Click the ‘My Account’ tab. This tab will allow you to edit your account.
- The ‘Disable Account’ option is present at the bottom of the window, right next to the ‘Delete Account’ option. Click on it to disable your Discord account temporarily.
Also, read our guide on delete a discord server.
Disabling your account through Smartphone
The following are the steps required to disable your Discord account through your smartphone:
- Open the Discord app on your iPhone or Android smartphone and login in your account.
- After logging in, you could see a set of 3 White lines on your screen’s top left corner. Tap on these lines for opening the list of your servers.
- You will notice a Cog icon beside your account name. Tap on this icon to open up ‘User Settings’.
- Further, tap on ‘Account’. Tap on the set of 3 White dots present on the top-right corner screen.
- You will see two options – Disable Account and Delete Account. But if you select any of these options, you will be directed to a support page of Discord. You have to request the support if you want to disable or delete Discord account from your smartphone. As of now, this is the only way for smartphone users to disable or delete their Discord accounts.
How to delete Discord Account
If you have decided to cut all ties with your Discord account, you can delete it permanently with a few steps. There isn’t much difference between the procedures to disable and delete a Discord account. As mentioned before, you have to contact the support for deleting your Discord account on your smartphone.
There are a few things that you need to carry out before deleting your Discord account. If you own a server on Discord, you should either delete the server or pass on your ownership to a worthy member of the server. Passing on your server ownership to a member will ensure that the server remains active even after your Discord account gets deleted.
The following are the steps required for transferring your server ownership to a member of the server:
- Open Discord and login in your account. Click on the name of your server and open the ‘Server Settings’.
- On the left side menu of your screen, you will see the ‘User Management’ option. Click it to see the list of the members of your server.
- After deciding which member is capable of administering your server, hover over that member’s user name and then click on the set of 3 vertical White dots.
- Click on ‘Transfer Ownership’ in the dialog menu.
After you transfer the administrative rights, you will turn into a regular member of the server. If you don’t find any member of your server who is capable of owning the server, you can just delete the server.
When you are done with your Discord servers, you can go ahead to delete Discord account. Here are the steps to do it.
- Open Discord and after logging in, go to the ‘User Settings’. Click on the ‘My Account’ tab and click on the ‘Edit’ button there.
- The ‘Delete Account’ option will be present at the bottom of the window. Click on this option to delete Discord account permanently. You might be asked to enter your password before the system deletes your account.
After successfully deleting your Discord account, you will have 14 days to recover it back. You won’t be able to recover any details/info from your Discord account after the14-day period passes on. Your Discord username will likely appear as ‘DeletedUser 0000’. Your past messages can be seen by the people you have texted through Discord. To delete these messages, you can contact email@example.com.